- Most news sites have paywalls, which means that they only allow you to read a certain number of articles per month until you have to pay to read more. For example, the New York Times has a paywall of 10 articles. Some ways to get around this: 1) If your you’ve reached the limit on your phone, read them on your laptop, which gives you a fresh start. 2) Read articles in different browsers. 3) Type the title of the article in the search bar and load it from there. This doesn’t count toward the paywall.
- However, I would nonetheless suggest subscribing to the New York Times. For a few dollars a month, you’ll have full access to all online publications and it is fully worth your money. You do not have to agree with everything you read, but the exposure to high-quality content and a diverse range of views on a whole host of issues is vital to your intellectual development. It will help you challenge your own thoughts, polish your ideas, and improve your vocabulary.
I don’t necessarily agree with everything I read or share. In fact, I may vehemently disagree with some readings. But I am also a firm believer in engaging with challenging ideas, which first requires understanding what they are. I see it as an inextricable part of my growth to challenge my own ideas and to continuously revise them as I develop. With that said, here are some articles I read this week which helped me to do exactly that. I’ve divided them into sections based on category, and have emphasized in red which ones I think are must-reads. Enjoy!
- Is 90% of the Quran a legal document? CNN, Myth and Math by Imam Joe Bradford (Joe Bradford) [must-read]
- Trump Excuses the White Working Class from the Politics of Personal Responsibility by Peter Beinart (The Atlantic) [must-read]
- How Stable Are Liberal Democracies? ‘Warning Signs Are Flashing Red’ by Amanda Taub (The New York Times) [must-read]
- Trump: The Choice We Face by Masha Gessen (The New York Review of Books) [must-read]
- Of Nine Tech Companies, Only Twitter Says It Would Refuse to Help Build Muslim Registry for Trump by Sam Biddle (The Intercept)
- Mr. Trump, Meet the Constitution by The New York Times Editorial Board (The New York Times)
- White-Collar Supremacy by Kelly J. Baker (The New York Times)
- Glenn Beck Is Sorry About All That by Ana Marie Cox (The New York Times)
- For Bashar al-Assad, Winning the Syrian War May Lead to New Troubles by Alissa J. Rubin (The New York Times)
- Foreign fighters pour into Syria to bolster Assad regime by Erika Solomon (Financial Times)
- Syrian crisis: Air strike kills the last clown of Aleppo, Anas al-Basha by Eryk Bagshaw (The Sydney Morning Herald)
- Inside Kerry’s race to stop the siege of Aleppo by Josh Rogin (The Washington Post)
- Pakistan Names New Military Leader by Salman Masood (The New York Times)
- Jimmy Carter: America Must Recognize Palestine by Jimmy Carter (The New York Times) [must-read]
- Why encourage Palestinian hope with mosque loudspeakers? by Sayed Kashua (Haaretz)
- Reform and Conservative Jews try a new tactic in battle for Israeli religious pluralism by Michele Chabin (Religion News Service)
Don’t forget to tell your friends to subscribe to the newsletter!